New Preventive Services For Women Fully Covered Under Health Care Reform
The Affordable Care Act has provided U.S. citizens with many benefits, including more preventive care for women.
Some of the services covered for women won’t cost Blues members a penny out of pocket when services are rendered by network providers and certain other conditions are met. The services include:
- Annual well-woman and OB/GYN visits
- Annual counseling for sexually transmitted diseases
- Annual screening and counseling for HIV
- One human papillomavirus (HPV) test every three years for women age 30 and up
- Two gestational diabetes screenings for women during pregnancy
- Breastfeeding counseling and support, including one breast pump following delivery (no more than one pump every 24 months)
- Contraceptive counseling and coverage to include all FDA-approved generic contraceptive methods, as well as some emergency or “morning after” generic contraceptives.
These new benefits fit right in with the Blues’ focus on preventive care. In fact, we already provide coverage for many of the services mandated by the health care reform. That’s because prevention is the foundation of the care we provide. We believe that preventive care can help keep you healthy and avoid serious and expensive medical conditions.
For more specific information about these new benefits, contact your health plan administrator, or call the customer service number on the back of your BCBSM or BCN card. For the latest information on health care reform, visit bcbsm.com/healthreform.
Photo Credit: Sangudo