On October 1, the Health Insurance Marketplace opened to millions of Americans, many new to buying health insurance, in search of answers of how to navigate the new system. Experiencing increased call volumes throughout the Marketplace’s first week of operation, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan re-focused its 10 service centers statewide to help consumers understand and navigate the change.
Consumers can talk directly with a health plan advisor or licensed agent to determine the best plan for their specific situation, and ensure that each form is completed correctly to take advantage of any available federal assistance. Advisors and agents will be available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the following 10 walk-in centers:
- Bricktown Customer Service Center: 500 E. Lafayette, Detroit, MI 48226
- Blue Care Network – The Commons: 20500 Civic Center Drive, Southfield, MI 48076
- Shelby Twp.: 6100 Auburn Road, Shelby Twp., MI 48317
- Grand Rapids-Steketee’s Building: 86 Monroe Center NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Flint-Linden Creek Service Center: 4520 Linden Creek Parkway, Suite A, Flint, MI 48507
- Holland Service Center: 151 Central Ave., Holland, MI 49423
- Lansing-South Capitol Avenue Building: 232 S. Capitol Ave., Lansing, MI 48933
- Marquette Service Center: 415 S. McClellan Ave., Marquette, MI 49855
- Portage Customer Service: 8175 Creekside Dr., Suite 100, Portage, MI 49024
- Traverse City Service Center: 202 E. State Street, Traverse City, MI 49684
Michigan residents can also contact one of the thousands of licensed Blue Cross agents across the state, as these agents understand consumer challenges, have the knowledge and understand how to assist consumers to determine subsidy eligibility and which qualified health plan may be their best option. To date, more than 2,000 Michigan agents have completed training and certification to sell Blue Cross Blue Shield and Blue Cross Network plans both on and off the Marketplace.
Those at higher income levels who are not eligible for a subsidy, or don’t wish to take advantage of one, can enroll easily through bcbsm.com. BCBSM offers a total of 18 options for coverage for individuals, many of which are among the lowest priced health plans on Michigan’s Health Insurance Marketplace. The rates for these plans are identical both on and off the Marketplace. BCBSM is the only health insurer to offer coverage in every one of Michigan’s 83 counties. Products, pricing and plan design are available at bcbsm.com/myblue.
To learn the basics of health reform, Michiganders can visit HealthCareReformBasics.com.
UPDATE: Due to a high volume of customers, BCBSM walk-in offices will have extended hours from Jan. 4 – Jan. 17, 2014. All of the centers, with the exception of the Flint and Marquette locations, will be open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. The Flint-Linden Creek Service Center and Marquette Service Center will have the extended hours of 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the week, but will remain closed on Saturdays.