Health Care Reform
Blue Cross wants to give Michigan residents every opportunity to obtain health coverage and have it effective in the New Year. If you have enrolled in a plan but have not paid your bill, you will still be covered on Jan. 1. Unsure when your payment is due? Here are some frequently asked questions that outline upcoming deadlines:
I am enrolled in Keep Fit, what is the deadline for paying my bill?
If you enrolled in Keep Fit on or before Dec. 31, the first month’s payment is due Jan. 31.
I am enrolled in an ACA product, what is the deadline for paying my bill?
If you enrolled in an ACA product on or before Dec. 31, the first month’s payment is due Jan. 31. If you enrolled after Dec. 31, the first month’s payment is due 15 days from the day you were sent the bill.
How do I pay my bill for Keep Fit or an ACA compliant product?
• Pay online at bcbsm.com: It’s easy to sign up for eBilling. Just log in to your account at bcbsm.com. If you’re eligible, you’ll see Pay My Premium in the right-hand column. Click the link and follow the instructions to get started.
• Mail in your payment: Follow the instructions on your bill to mail us your payment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan plan, mail your check or money order to:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
P.O. Box 553174
Detroit, MI 48255-3174
If you have a Blue Care Network plan, mail your check or money order to:
Blue Care Network
P.O. Box 33608
Detroit, MI 48232-5608
• Pay at a walk-in center: Drop off your bill in person at one of BCBSM’s 11 walk-in centers across the state. Walk-in centers accept checks, cashier’s checks and money orders.
• Pay by phone: BCBSM has over 1,500 individuals on the phone lines to take your calls from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. However, our service representatives are experiencing extremely high volumes of calls and very long hold times. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have a hard time getting through, consider paying your bill online.
For more information on payment options, visit bcbsm.com/payments.
If I don’t pay by Dec. 31, will I not be covered?
If you enrolled before Dec. 31, you have until Jan. 31 to pay your bill without a coverage lapse. So even if you haven’t paid your bill yet, you will continue to have coverage tomorrow.
I’ve logged in to my account online and my plan isn’t showing up, how am I supposed to pay?
Your name and new effective date and coverage date may not appear in the system until Jan. 1. If your plan isn’t showing up, wait until tomorrow. You can also pay by phone, by mailing in a payment, or at a walk-in center.
What hours will BCBSM service representatives be available?
BCBSM has over 1,500 individuals on the phone lines to take your calls from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. These times will be effective through March 31.
Can I still enroll in a plan for 2014?
You have until March 31 to enroll in a health plan without facing a tax penalty. Michigan residents can enroll by:
• Calling a Blues’ health plan advisor at 855-892-8089.
• Contacting a licensed Blue Cross agent.
• Enrolling online at bcbsm.com/myblue.
I’ve enrolled by don’t have an ID card yet. How do I fill my prescriptions?
Some pharmacies will be filling prescriptions for people who have enrolled but don’t have ID cards yet. For example, individuals can bring proof of their enrollment to Walgreens from now through the end of January to receive select prescriptions at no upfront cost. It’s best to call your pharmacy to determine how they can help you through this process.