With less than a month to enroll in a health plan, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network are partnering with the Detroit Regional Chamber’s MI Health Answers program to host “Be Covered, Be Confident.” This free health expo will be held March 27 at The Conference Center at Saginaw Valley State University, Curtiss Hall, 7400 Bay Rd., Saginaw, from 1p.m-8p.m.
March 31 is the last day for individuals to enroll in coverage. Those who miss the March 31 deadline may be subject to a tax penalty and will not be able to enroll again until November 2014, for coverage starting January 2014, leaving them vulnerable to the extreme financial risks that go along with living uninsured.
This education and enrollment event is focused on individuals who don’t qualify for Medicaid or Medicare, as well as small business employers, and will give both audiences the opportunity to learn about health care reform and insurance coverage options from experts on the topic. This free event is open to the public, and will offer kids activities, refreshments, giveaways and personal wellness checks for all attendees.
In order to personalize service and provide each attendee with the most relevant information possible, participants interested in learning more about or enrolling in health plans will be helped based on their unique financial and health needs. Here’s how:
- Subsidy Eligibility: Individuals will start at the subsidy check station where they will gain a better understanding of whether or not they might be eligible for financial assistance on the marketplace. Individuals are encouraged to text “4Subsidy” to 222-752 or visit bcbsm.com/subsidy to see if they qualify for lower costs prior to attending the event.
- Exploring Plan Options: Individuals will learn about health plans and discuss which plans may best fit their needs with the help of a health insurance expert.
- Enrolling in a Health Plan: Blues agents certified to navigate the marketplace will be available to enroll individuals on-site or to set up an appointment for a later date. Individuals ready to enroll should have their estimated 2014 income and employer coverage information on hand. For more information on what consumers need to enroll, visit HealthCareReformBasics.com/preparetobuy.
Small business owners and decision-makers will have a variety of resources to help them weigh health benefit options and make an informed decision for their employees and business. Though the employer mandate has been delayed for both large and mid-sized businesses, the health insurance landscape has changed dramatically.
To help business decision-makers become more prepared to make health benefits choices, Be Covered Be Confident subject matter experts will provide:
- A series of brief seminars on health care reform topics relevant to small businesses.
- On-site access to law, accounting, benefits consulting and wellness advisers.
- The opportunity to speak with licensed health insurance professionals who can advise regarding your health benefits scenario.
- Resources for employees with health insurance questions who may need to speak with a health insurance agent specializing in individual and family sales.
For more information on the event, visit becovered.eventbrite.com. For more information on ACA individual plan options, visit bcbsm.com/myblue. For general or business-specific information about the ACA, visit mihealthanswers.com.