Capping off a decade-long transformation of the Detroit Riverfront, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan pledged $1 million to the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy in 2014 to help Michigan residents to take advantage of restored riverfront. In the past two years, thousands have participated in Live the Riverfront programming and events. This year Michigan residents will have even more opportunities to use the riverfront to get active and stay healthy.
One of the more popular events is Walk the RiverWalk Wednesdays. Anyone can participate in the free program— just register and try to walk along the river during your lunch hour or scheduled break as many Wednesdays as possible. Check in eight or more times throughout the summer to be entered to win a prize.
Blue Cross employee Monica Beckom participated in Walk the RiverWalk Wednesdays last year and is looking forward to participating again. “I started because I like to walk, but the program pushes you to be healthy and get out there,” says Beckom. “Since starting the program, it has motivated me to now walk every day during lunch, which has helped me lose weight!” If you want to join Monica, Walk the RiverWalk Wednesdays start in May and go through August.
Here are some other happenings that are part of Live the Riverfront:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Riverfront Run: On June 11, 2016, Blue Cross and the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy will hold the Riverfront Run, which includes both a 5K and a 10K race. This event showcases the beautiful Detroit riverfront and takes participants along the RiverWalk and Dequindre Cut Greenway. Click here to register.
- Weekly fitness classes: Engage both your mind and body by attending free weekly yoga and tai chi classes at Rivard Plaza from June through late August (no registration necessary).
- Riverfront Fit Park: Last year, Blue Cross and the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy unveiled a free outdoor public workout space along the Dequindre Cut. It features permanently installed equipment including parallel bars, pull-up bars, ab crunch, cardio stepper and more.
- Moonlight Yoga: Back by popular demand, three moonlight yoga classes are scheduled throughout July and August. More details will be announced soon.
Live the Riverfront gives Detroit residents and employees the chance to stay active while enjoying the gem that is our riverfront. If you’ve participated in past Live the Riverfront programming and have a story to share, email us at email@example.com. For more details about this year’s activities and events, visit detroitriverfront.org/livetheriverfront. You may also enjoy these blogs:
- Registration Open for Detroit Riverfront Run
- Grand Rapids Step Challenge Helps Residents Get Active
- How A Couch-To-5K Program Changed One Woman’s Life
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan