If you use Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network plans for your employees, there’s a new feature you’ll want to share with them. As of July 1, Blue Cross members will have access to 24/7 online health care, powered by American Well®, that will allow them to have virtual visits with board-certified doctors. (Blue Care Network plans have offered this since January 1, 2016 (more about that here and here).
Employees with Blue Cross coverage are able to sign up for a secure, online account and receive 24/7 health care from a smartphone, tablet or computer.
Online doctor visits can provide peace of mind for employees when:
- Their primary doctor isn’t available.
- They need fast, convenient, affordable access to a U.S. board-certified doctor.
- It’s after-hours, they’re traveling or they can’t leave work or home.
- They have a minor illness such as the flu, a cold, sore throat, eye or ear infection, skin rash, sprain or strain.
And it isn’t just the primary account holder—the whole family can use online doctor visits as a benefit of their Blue Cross coverage. Spouses and children over the age of 18 can create their own personal accounts. If an employee has a child younger than 18, they just need to add them to their account, so they can visit with an online doctor on their behalf.
How it works:
- After signing up for an Amwell™ account, you can see a doctor in about three minutes.
- Once you begin your session, the doctor will go over any symptoms, ask questions, and come up with a treatment plan for you. The doctor will even prescribe you medicine if necessary*. On average, the whole visit takes 10 minutes, from start to finish.
- Afterward, you can share a report of the visit with your regular doctor. And the explanation of benefits and any claim information will be available online through your bcbsm.com member account.
Not only are these visits quick and easy, they also cost less than urgent care center or emergency room visits. Your employees will either just pay their normal office copay (for fully-insured groups) or a set copay (for self-funded groups). The cost will never be more than $49 for the visit.
Watch the video below to see how easy it can be to meet with a doctor for a virtual visit using your Blue Cross coverage.
*U.S. only. Some states have visit and prescribing restrictions. Online health care doesn’t replace primary doctor relationships. Visits are $49 or less, based on your plan coverage, copayment, coinsurance and deductible.
American Well® is an independent company that provides online health care for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network members. Blue Cross and BCN do not control the content of the Amwell website. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network are nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Photo credit: Perspecsys Photos