Blues promote statewide MI Healthier Tomorrow wellness initiative
BCBSM has a proud tradition of working with other companies to support good causes.
So when the state of Michigan unveiled its MI Healthier Tomorrow campaign in Detroit recently, it was not surprising that BCBSM and its partners in the Live Downtown incentive program teamed up to support the weight-loss initiative.
MI Healthier Tomorrow’s goal is simple: to wage war on obesity by encouraging overweight Michigan residents to pledge to lose 10 percent of their body weight.
“Health and wellness has been part of our DNA for so long,” Tricia Keith, BCBSM’s senior vice president, Corporate Secretary and Services, said at a news conference unveiling the campaign in Detroit. “Starting in Detroit is a perfect way to launch the campaign, since we’ve already had so much collaboration among downtown employers.”
The collaboration involves the Blues and several of its Live Downtown partners: Quicken Loans, Compuware and Marketing Associates.
The state’s obesity problem has grown dramatically in recent years, said Dawn Rodman, a Michigan Department of Community Health representative.
Michigan residents rank as fifth heaviest in the country. In 1995, 18 percent of the state’s adult population was obese. By 2010, the figure was 32 percent, Rodman said.
Why 10 percent?
Losing just 10 percent of your body weight can make significant improvements to both your physical and mental health.
Among the documented results:
- Improved blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Improved heart health
- Decreased risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Strengthened immune system
- Decreased back and joint pain
- Improved breathing and sleep
- Increased energy and stamina
- Improved mood and self-confidence
How to sign up
It’s easy to sign up for MI Healthier Tomorrow:
- Go to the Michigan Department of Community Health website.
- Scroll down until you see pledge form on the right side of the screen. It begins, “Today is the day I choose a healthier future.”
- Fill out the simple form, including your home address.
- When you get to the question, “How did you find out about MI Healthier Tomorrow?” be sure to scroll through the list and select Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
Once you sign up, look for a starter kit to be sent to your home address.