The Affordable Care Act is changing the ‘base model’ of health insurance. All insurance plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace must include the following 10 basic essential medical benefits:
- Ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance abuse disorder services, including behavior health treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventative and wellness services; chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
As you may expect, with added value comes added expenses. If your car included more features, wouldn’t cost more to purchase?
Just like everyone has to have car insurance, under the Affordable Care Act everyone is required to have health insurance.
Worried you won’t be able to afford this ‘upgraded’ coverage? Individuals purchasing on the marketplace may qualify for government-sponsored subsidies such as tax credits and reduced cost sharing, as well as an expanded Medicaid program. Get a subsidy estimate at bcbsm.com/subsidy.
Photo Credit: Enrique Dans