Blues retains one pre-Obamacare plan to serve as a bridge until consumers can select the right ACA plan for their health needs
Recently, the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services gave health insurers the option of keeping open, through 2014, health plans that are no longer compliant with the Affordable Care Act.
Despite this option, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network made the decision to discontinue our non-compliant health plans and encourage consumers to sign up for ACA-compliant plans. Consumers have until Dec. 23 to select ACA-compliant plans for coverage effective Jan. 1, 2014.
BCBSM is keeping open one non-compliant individual plan, “Keep Fit.” We are in the process of informing our members who have non-compliant individual products of their options:
- BCBSM members already enrolled in Keep Fit can maintain their coverage in that product.
- BCBSM members whose plans are being discontinued can elect to have Keep Fit as their new product option.
- BCBSM members in discontinued plans can enroll in new, ACA-compliant health plans.
We retained Keep Fit for three reasons:
- It was the only one of our individual health plans with a December 2013 “plan year” renewal date, allowing us to maintain it.
- It ensures that Blues members who have individual health plans have the ability to maintain their health coverage when those plans are discontinued on Dec. 31, 2013.
- It gives BCBSM members the chance to bridge to an ACA-compliant health plan at any time through the conclusion of the ACA open enrollment period on March 31, 2014.
Blue Cross’ top concern is ensuring members have continuous coverage going into the 2014 benefit year, preventing a lapse when their current plan expires at the end of 2013. While Keep Fit may not be the best option for everyone, it will serve as a bridge until consumers can select the right ACA plan for their health needs.
BCBSM estimates that about 50 percent of its current individual members are eligible for ACA subsidies, allowing better coverage at lower cost.
Since Keep Fit subscribers are not eligible for financial subsidies, Blue Cross strongly encourages members to consider ACA compliant plans before turning away free money from the government to help purchase a more robust, ACA-compliant health plan.
Photo Credit: Topiary Garden