By: Lisa Rajt, MSW, health care manager in Value Partnerships at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
The positive results are a testament to the diligence of our program partners and staff, and we are excited to share them.
- A study of 2,218 primary care practices in Michigan, spanning from July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2012, was published in JAMA Internal Medicine in February 2015. The study examined breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening rates for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan patients in those practices. Evidence suggests that implementation of a PCMH was associated with higher breast, cervical and colorectal cancer screening rates across most socioeconomic contexts.
- A longitudinal study of our Patient Centered Medical Home Program was published in April 2015 in Medical Care Research and Review. The study evaluated 2,218 adult primary care practices in Michigan. Evidence suggests that both level and amount of change in PCMH practices is positively associated with quality of care and use of preventive services after controlling for various characteristics, and lower overall medical and surgical costs are associated with higher levels of PCMH implementation.
- A study about our PGIP program was published in Health Affairs in April 2015. The study examined PGIP’s impact on spending and quality for over three million Blues’ members. Evidence suggests that participation in PGIP is associated with 1.1 percent lower spending for adults and 5.1 percent lower for children, as well as the same or improved performance on 11 of 14 quality measures.
These results strengthen the credibility of the award-winning Value Partnerships programs, and are a validation of the hard work undertaken by providers and physician organizations across the state in transforming the health care delivery system. Additional results will be forthcoming, so stay tuned!
Want to learn more about health care quality efforts in Michigan? You may be interested in these articles:
- Why Coordination of Care Matters to Everyone in Michigan
- Population Health: Taking Better Care of Patients, One At A Time
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and University of Michigan Health System Launch Initiative to Improve Emergency Care Quality Statewide