The government announced an extension on the open enrollment period for 2016. To be covered beginning January 1, 2016 individuals and families in Michigan have until 3 a.m. (EST) Friday, December 18, 2015 to sign up for qualified plans or make changes to their existing health insurance.
The open enrollment period ends January 31, 2016 for coverage starting March 1. For those who enroll by January 15, coverage will start on February 1. Those enrolled in Affordable Care Act coverage for 2015 should have been notified about whether they were eligible for automatic re-enrollment. Those eligible are re-enrolled in the same plan, unless they choose another one.
To help navigate any questions consumers may have, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is offering three ways to help consumers:
- Extended Call Center Hours: Health plan advisors will be available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and tomorrow by calling 888-899-4931. You can also contact your agent.
- Go Online: Visit the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan website. Our health plan advisors will be answering your questions live on our social media channels (Facebook and Twitter) tomorrow, December 17 from 10 am to 2 pm. Simply follow our channels and send in your question using the hashtag, #covered101.
- Extended Walk-in Center Hours: Speak with someone in person from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. today and 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. tomorrow. State-wide Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan’s Walk-In Centers are also open for face-to-face support:
- Ann Arbor: 2311 Green Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48105 (Closes at 6 p.m.)
- BCBSM Detroit headquarters(Bricktown building): 500 E. Lafayette, Detroit, MI 48226
- BCBSM Grand Rapids headquarters: 86 Monroe Center NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Grand Rapids Cascade: 611 Cascade W. Parkway SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
- Flint: 4520 Linden Creek Parkway Suite A, Flint, MI 48507
- Holland: 151 Central Ave., Holland, MI 49423
- Lansing: 232 S. Capitol Ave., Lansing, MI 48933
- Marquette: 415 S. McClellan Ave., Marquette, MI 49855
- Portage: 950 Trade Centre Way, Suite 110, Portage, MI 49002
- Southfield: 20500 Civic Centre Drive, Southfield, MI 48076
- Shelby Twp.: 6100 Auburn Rd., Shelby Twp., MI 48317
- Traverse City: 202 E. State Street, Traverse City, MI 49684
To apply for coverage beginning January 1, 2016, visit bcbsm.com/myblue.
Photo credit: whity