Whether you joined the Blue Cross family for the first time this year or updated your previous 2015 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan plan, you might be wondering what you should do to make the most out of your coverage. Here’s a guide to get you up to speed so you can start taking advantage of the benefits of Blue Cross:
- Head to the web. First things first, visit our award-winning website, bcbsm.com, and register your online account (on the right, there’s an option to register for a new account or get login help). Once you’ve done this, you can use the site to review things like billing information, deductible levels and copays, estimate costs of prescription drugs, listen to our online podcasts on everything you need to know about health care and more.
- Pick a primary care doctor. If you want to start the year with a new primary care doctor (or are looking to find one for the first time), use our Find a Doctor tool to narrow down your options based on extended office hours, gender, specialties and quality designations. You can also search for Patient-Centered Medical Home physicians, meaning they are part of a team of medical professionals who work together to keep you healthy. If you have an HMO plan, it’s important to let us know who your primary doctor is, since they’ll coordinate your care.
- Understand what your plan covers and your referral process. Understanding your coverage is important prior to an emergency to ensure you receive the best care and avoid unnecessary costs and added stress. Plus there are many benefits outside of emergencies that you’re missing out on by not fully comprehending what your health insurance has to offer, such as member discounts and 24/7 care and wellness programs. It’s also important to understand what your plan covers for free, such as preventive services. If you have an HMO plan, you may pay more to visit a specialist if you don’t get a referral from your primary care physician, so now is the time to figure out if you need one or not.
- Schedule your annual appointments. Be sure you’ve scheduled appointments with your primary care physician and any other specialist you see on a yearly basis. Additionally, women should consider selecting an OB-GYN.
- Learn the tricks-of-the-trade when it comes to saving money with your plan. Blue Cross has a variety of programs aimed to cut your health care costs. Make sure to check out the member discount program, which provides Blue Cross members with exclusive deals, and save even more by trying a few of these tips!
As you adjust to your new plan and coverage, Blue Cross has top-notch customer service ready to help you every step of the way. Visit our walk-in center locations across Michigan for in-person attention about your plan, head to our online customer action center that gets you the help and answers that you need or call the number on the back of your ID card to speak with one of our customer service representatives.
For more reasons why you’ve made the right choice with your health care by joining the Blue Cross family, check out these blogs:
- Grab a Friend, Get Healthy and Save Money in the Process
- Blue Cross Top Michigan Insurer Based on Customer Feedback
- A Body In Motion Stays In Motion: How to Boost Your Daily Activity