For the third consecutive year, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has the number one spot on DiversityInc magazine’s list of Top Regional Companies for Diversity Management. This annual survey highlights companies that work hard to hire, retain and promote minorities, women, people with disabilities, LGBT and veterans.
“It is so exciting to be recognized as a leader in implementing effective and meaningful diversity and inclusion policies and programs,” said Bridget Hurd, senior director, Diversity and Inclusion. “We continue to make tremendous strides in creating an inclusive work environment where we recognize and appreciate the diversity that each and every employee brings to the workplace.”
When coming up with the list, DiversityInc considers factors like the make-up of the existing workforce, employee resource groups, mentoring and leadership accountability. While Blue Cross fosters diversity on many levels, here are three ways it stands out from other companies:
- Employee Resource Networks: These 10 groups are focused on helping groups like minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities feel more at home at Blue Cross.
- The Supplier Diversity Program: Blue Cross has close to 200 diverse suppliers, including businesses owned by veterans, people with disabilities and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
- An Aware Workforce: Almost all Blue Cross employees (97 percent) have been trained on cultural competency, helping create an inclusive environment from top to bottom.
For more on how Blue Cross values diversity, visit here or check out these other blogs:
- Employees Making a Difference: Both in the Community and at Blue Cross
- Blue Cross Embraces Hispanic and Latino Diversity
- Diversity Initiatives Enable Collaborative, Motivated Work Culture
Photo credit: Wonder woman0731