Join Blue Cross for an Informative #FluShot Twitter Chat
Have questions about getting the flu shot? An opportunity to ask them and get answers from experts is coming up.
Join us for a Twitter chat on Thursday, Oct. 4 at noon EST, hosted by Dr. T. Jann Caison-Sorey, senior medical director, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Simply follow @BCBSM on Twitter and participate using the hashtag #FluShot.
Last year the flu shot saved an estimated 5 million individuals from getting sick. Still, many people question its efficacy and safety, leading to fewer people vaccinating themselves and their children.
If last year’s flu season is any indication, getting the flu shot is more important than ever, for every member of the family:
• 180 children died from the flu.
• For adults, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and the flu was at or above the epidemic threshold for 16 consecutive weeks.
• More than 30,000 people were hospitalized as a result of the flu.
Whether you’re on the fence about the flu shot or you faithfully roll up your sleeve every year, join the conversation and learn about causes of the flu, who is most susceptible to contracting it and where you can get vaccinated.
For Blue Cross members without BCBSM pharmacy coverage: Visit bcbsm.com/preventflu to see a list of immunizing pharmacies that provide vaccines under your medical coverage.
Read more about the flu here:
• What Parents Need to Know About the Deadliest Flu Season on Record
• Top 5 Myths About the Flu Vaccine
• The Flu Shot: Still Your Best Bet
Photo credit: Thinkstock