Informed Employees Are Empowered Employees: Tools and Resources to Educate About Health Benefits
When employees are educated, they feel confident and empowered to make informed decisions. This is especially true when it comes to their health care coverage. By understanding all their options, employees can take full advantage of their health care plans, take steps to reduce how much money they spend on care, and be more proactive about their overall health and well-being— things that also translate to lower costs for the company.
Unfortunately, this is not something all business owners understand: only two in five companies have budgets dedicated to benefits education. It’s no wonder that a study by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans found almost half of employees lack understanding of their benefits.
To improve those statistics, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan has created a series of tools that will help employers grow employee awareness about their health care plans:
- Blue Cross Employer Resources Site: Business owners can download a variety of helpful toolkits and documents on topics ranging from understanding treatment costs, to increasing awareness around mental health issues and choosing a Blue Distinction Total care physician.
- Master Class Webinars: Every month, the Blue Cross Master Class webinar series educates employers on health care topics and how they impact employers’ business. With discussions from industry experts on the most pressing topics, like employee well-being, opioids, ER use, the diabetes epidemic, value-based care and others, benefits decision-makers are equipped with the information they need to be a partner with employees in their health.
The series is accredited through the Human Resource Certification Institute and the Society for Human Resource Management to offer recertification credit for human resource professionals.
- Member Account and Mobile App: By encouraging employees to log in to their online account and download the BCBSM mobile app, they will have 24/7 access to resources that help them manage and understand their health plan. They can access details on topics like deductibles and copays, access their virtual ID card and, through the mobile app, take advantage of our Health and Wellness site.
- A Healthier Michigan Podcast: Perfect listening for the daily commute, this podcast covers lifestyle topics that promote employee health, including nutrition, mental health and well-being.
Visit these other blogs for more on the tools and resources that help employers educate employees on their health plan and benefits:
- How to Use the Blue Cross App to Understand Your Plan
- Have You Logged in to Your bcbsm.com Member Account Yet?
- Give Your Employees the Power of Health
Photo Credit: Free-Photos