Blue Cross Recognized for Commitment to Diversity in Procurement
As the largest health insurer in Michigan, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network serve many people, from many diverse communities around the state.
We’re committed to making sure that the goods and services we purchase reflect those people and communities, ensuring opportunities for minority- and women-owned businesses. In fact, our supplier diversity program boasts close to 200 diverse suppliers, including businesses owned by veterans, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.
We make sure our subsidiaries also take diversity into account as they make procurement decisions and we’re heavily invested in Detroit-based buying as a way to give back to the city that’s been our home base for almost 80 years. We’re also working hard to invest in businesses across Michigan, recognizing the need to diversify geographically as well, to ensure healthy local economies.
While we don’t make procurement decisions to win awards – we do it because it’s important for business and economic growth within the communities we serve – we’re always honored and humbled when our efforts to level the business playing field are recognized. We were recently awarded by two statewide organizations:
- The Great Lakes Women’s Business Council recently named Blue Cross its Corporation of the Year. The council also recognized Blue Cross with their Excellence in Supplier Diversity award for the fifth consecutive year and it’s the third year we’ve been awarded the organization’s highest honor – Best in Class. Blue Cross was one of 10 companies to receive the distinction. Winning ‘best in class’ for the third year in a row is a direct result of total organizational commitment to the lofty goals we set for ourselves in the supplier diversity space.
- The Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council also named Blue Cross its Corporation of the Year in the Financial & Insurance Services category. The award recognizes “corporations who actively include certified minority suppliers in their procurement opportunities, assist in the development of minority suppliers, promotes supplier diversity and business development within their corporation, their vendors, other businesses, and organizations.” This is the eleventh year Blue Cross has earned the distinction, making the longevity of our commitment to supplier diversity evident.
Creating opportunities for suppliers that reflect our diverse membership is a strategy we’ll continue to uphold as we believe it makes our business and the communities we serve stronger.
Jim Line is senior director, Corporate Procurement, at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
Learn more about Blue Cross’ commitment to diversity by reading these posts:
- Blue Cross’ Ongoing Commitment to Employees with Disabilities
- Making Blue Cross Equally Blue for the LGBTQ+ Community
- Blue Cross Supports Veterans
Photo credit: Weekend Images Inc.