The Business and Health Benefits of Offering Integrated Pharmacy and Medical Coverage
When it comes to selecting your employees’ Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan health plan, it may be tempting to opt out of pharmacy coverage. But there are bottom line benefits to bundling medical and pharmacy benefits for your business’ and your employees’ health.
Having employees in a single plan for medical and pharmacy delivers real savings on business health care costs, and it can also help retain top-tier employees and reduce the cost of total care premiums.
Employees get more of the good stuff, too. Integrated pharmacy and medical benefits ensure their total health care needs are met from the day they sign up. Employee members can use online resources and apps with access to provider resources, cost of care information and claims. They also have the benefit of using one card for medical and pharmacy coverage that provides direct access to a variety of health and financial benefits.
Pharmacy coverage is the most frequently used health benefit. Members want to know they’re getting the best care, coverage and access to high-quality prescriptions at the right price. For employees, there are more benefits when integrating pharmacy and medical coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan:
- Most efficient care coordination. Employee medical and prescription information travels with them accessed by a single card, carried in a wallet or smartphone, no matter the time or place. They’ll have access to health records, including care and medication history. Medication and claim reviews confirm each prescription is the appropriate treatment for their specific needs.
- Lower costs. Blue Cross members enjoy benefits at the pharmacy, including discount pricing on eligible medications. Our members pay the lowest prices available for drugs when using their Blue Cross ID cards.
- Award-winning member satisfaction. Blue Cross was ranked No. 1 in member satisfaction among Michigan commercial health care plans in 2018 by J.D. Power. Bundling is part of the joy, because it brings one out-of-pocket maximum, one deductible and one online member account.
- Care management and behavioral health programs. Our programs use advanced analytics based on medical and pharmacy claims data to identify members who would benefit from care management intervention.
Check out our MI Blues Perspectives blogs for more information to empower employees to make the most of their pharmacy coverage.
- It’s Now Easier Than Ever to Get Vaccinations
- Simple Ways for Businesses to Explain Pharmacy Coverage to Employees
- Avoiding Frustration at the Pharmacy
Photo Credit: mentatdgt