Introducing Mindfulness at Your Workplace
Introducing mindfulness at your company can help your employees cope and thrive in the face of ever-changing demands at work and home.
WHAT IS MINDFULNESS?
Mindfulness has been practiced in some form for thousands of years and has gained popularity as a non-religious practice in the last 50 years. Mindfulness training encourages practitioners to focus on the present moment and to be aware of emotions and thoughts. There’s a growing body of research confirming that mindfulness helps rewire the brain. Benefits of mindfulness include:
- Boosted immunity and sleep. After eight weeks of training, mindfulness meditation boosts the immune system. Practicing mindfulness may also improve sleep quality.
- Less stress. Mindfulness increases positive emotions and reduces negative emotions and stress.
- A changed brain. Brain imaging research published in Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging found a half hour of mindfulness meditation a day increases the density of gray matter in parts of the brain associated with memory, stress and empathy.
- Better focus. Mindfulness can help people tune out distractions and improve memory, attention skills and decision-making abilities.
- Increased resiliency. Mindfulness has been shown to help people who have suffered trauma, including veterans, police officers, abuse survivors and caregivers.
ENCOURAGING EMPLOYEES TO TRY MINDFULNESS
Now that you know the benefits of mindfulness, how do you help your employees access this beneficial practice? Blue Cross® Virtual Well-Being offers free weekly meditation sessions. Share the registration link in your ongoing corporate well-being communication efforts along with tips to get started. Or, you can purchase employee subscriptions to reputable mindfulness apps such as Headspace or Calm – both offer workplace subscription options and can help your employees establish their own daily practice.
Want to learn more about mindfulness? Watch this Blue Cross® Virtual Well-Being webinar for more ideas on supporting the happiness of your employees. You can also sign up for future employer-focused and general interest webinars here, where you’ll also be able to check out past sessions and resources.
- Leading with Happiness
- Approaching Behavioral Health Holistically
- Supporting Employees Working to Enhance Their Skills
Photo credit: fizkes