Help Your Employees Find Purpose at Work
Many say that the two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you discover your purpose – where you fit in the world. Purpose is the central theme in our lives. It is the aim or focus for all we do. The more we act in accordance to our purpose, the better life is for us and those around us.
Adults with higher levels of purpose in life:
- Are more resistant to negative situations
- Have a longer engagement of the dopamine response when they have a positive experience
- Have a reduced stress response
- May have higher psychological well-being
- Report improved quality of life and higher well-being
There are a variety of methods you can use to help your employees find their purpose at work.
- Add it as part of any professional development plan.
- Take time during one-on-one meetings to discuss a person’s abilities, values and strengths.
- Share what you see as your purpose which can lead to greater relationship growth, increased empathy among the team and higher engagement at work.
Employers have a unique opportunity to tie the purpose of their organization with the purpose of individuals. You can help your employees get started on their purpose journey by having them:
- Identify their values
- Identify their interests
- Identify their abilities
- Find opportunities to use their abilities
- Draft their purpose statement
Want to learn more about how to help your employees find purpose at work? Watch this Blue Cross® Virtual Well-Being webinar. In this session, your Virtual Well-Being coordinator, Chris Barr, provides a program to support a thriving workplace by helping employees identify their purpose. You can also sign up for future employer-focused and general interest webinars here, where you’ll also be able to check out past sessions and resources.
- Developing a Gratitude Mindset at Work
- Increase the Impact of Your Blue Cross Medical Benefits
- Supporting Multi-Generational Workforces
Photo credit: PeopleImages