A Year In Review: 2021 Highlights
Today’s world calls for innovative solutions. Whether you’re a business owner or health care consumer, Blue Care Network is addressing health care challenges — amplified by the pandemic — with new ideas to modernize health care. Here are some highlights from last year:
Our customers: Value-based Investments
COST-SAVINGS THROUGH EFFECTIVE PROGRAMS
- Generated $28 million in savings for BCN members on approximately 300 specialty and other expensive drugs through our high-cost drug discount program.
- Produced savings totaling $3.8 million for BCN and Blue Cross members with chronic conditions enrolled in our Drug Adherence Discount Program.
MORE EFFECTIVE HEALTH PROGRAMS
- Integrated behavioral health services into primary care settings to help primary care providers better manage the overall health of patients.
- Piloted a crisis stabilization program, in partnership with Hegira Health’s COPE and Common Ground Resource and Crisis Center, to offer immediate mental health care for children, adults and families in crisis.
- Implemented the Musculoskeletal Surgical Quality & Safety Management Program as part of the Spine and Joint Care Program to reduce unnecessary surgeries and improve patient outcomes.
- Created options for our members to receive lower cost virtual care.
- Selected a new pharmacy partner to help our customers manage prescription costs for employees with access to a large pharmacy network, including 2,300 Michigan pharmacies and 65,000 national pharmacies.
- Added HSA Bank® as a secondary health savings account administrator, giving our customers another option to save BCN members on future and current health care expenses.
SUPPORT FOR YOU
- Redesigned our employer site with easier navigation to help our customers choose the best options in their health care plans.
- Supported our customers in over 165 virtual field service visits, including new information sessions and live Q&A for open enrollment.
- Designed a turnkey mental health digital toolkit to guide members to the right care ― at the right time and place ― in times of need.
Our members: Convenient Resources
IMPROVED DIGITAL TOOLS
- Developed a digital Member Handbook, giving members convenient access to their plan information.
- Enhanced our Find a Doctor search tool with a simpler design and more intuitive navigation for overall better member experience.
- Customized the virtual BCN member ID card to include deductible and out-of-pocket maximums.
NEW HEALTH AND WELL-BEING RESOURCES
- Expanded virtual health and well-being support to more than 33,000 participants, in over 22 countries, through our Virtual Well-Being webinars.
- Developed an interactive workbook for the Virtual Well-Being Drop 5 Virtual Weight-Loss Community to help participants track the progress of their weight-loss journey.
- Added a new digital behavioral health and resiliency program, myStrength by Livongo®, to support members in managing life’s daily stressors and improve their mental health.
Our community: Unified Front
TOGETHER IN TIMES OF CRISIS
On Nov. 30, 2021, a mass casualty shooting took place at Oxford High School in Oxford Township, Mich. We responded immediately to the tragedy by supplementing other crisis responders with Blue Care Network and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan behavioral health providers. We identified more than 1,600 slots for same-day appointments for school district members experiencing emotional trauma. And we contributed financial assistance to Easterseals and Common Ground for mental health needs of the community in the wake of the tragedy. “The response from our provider network in and around Oakland County was tremendous in order to provide additional hours or days of service as needed,” said Dr. William Beecroft, medical director, Behavioral Health Strategy and Planning.
COMMITTED TO A HEALTHIER MICHIGAN
In partnership with our parent company, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, we:
- Waived member out-of-pocket costs for COVID-19 testing, treatment and vaccine administration, totaling $860 million.
- Supported 33 community-facing flu shot clinics, in partnership with Alana’s Foundation and other organizations, resulting in 2,190 flu vaccinations to children and adults across the state.
- Invested in six new Dedicated Senior Medical Center facilities in underserved Metro Detroit neighborhoods.
Livongo Health Inc. is an independent company contracted by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.