The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation recently awarded a total of $842,490 to support research and community programs that identify and address critical issues affecting the health of Michigan residents. The grants offered by the Blue Cross Foundation allow for a range of applicants and ideas:
- Community Health Matching Program: Eleven community-based nonprofit organizations in Michigan will use these grants to develop, test or validate new techniques and programs to address the needs of its community members and produce a tangible effect in their lives.
- Investigator Initiated Programs: Four Michigan researchers will use these grants to turn theory into data, and data into knowledge. These grantees often go on to be published in scholarly journals, academic circles and community platforms that inform and shape future thought and improvement.
- Physician Investigator Research Award Program: Four Michigan physicians will use these grants to support their studies to address unmet health needs and unsatisfactory medical practices to improve the delivery and quality of patient care.
- Student Award Program: Eighteen Michigan students will receive these grants in recognition of their work to create effective and efficient solutions to the many health issues that people contend with every day.
- Request for Proposal: To encourage the development of projects aimed at suicide prevention, the Foundation is joining forces with other organizations to make $575,000 available to health care clinicians and behavioral health specialists to develop projects that will decrease the rate of suicide attempts and deaths by identifying children and/or adults who may be at risk; as well as addressing their needs for appropriate medical, social and behavioral services.
The Blue Cross Foundation gives nearly $2 million each year in grants to research quality, cost and access to health care. The funding spans the state, from the metro-Detroit area to the communities of the Upper Peninsula. An overview of the recipients of the BCBSM Foundation grants by region is below:
- Addressing Disparity in End-of-Life Health Care
- Preparing for Future Medical Surges
- COVID-19 Accelerates Telehealth Expansion at Rural Health Centers
Photo credit: FamVeld