I want to enroll in an Affordable Care Act Qualified Health Plan: Can I still enroll for 2014?
- Yes. We will continue to offer qualified health plans with the complete array of essential health benefits required under the Affordable Care Act. We have products at some of the most competitive rates in Michigan. The deadline to enroll is Dec. 23, 2013 for coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2014. If you miss this deadline, you have until March 31, 2014 to enroll for future coverage effective dates – as early as Feb. 1, 2014.
Am I eligible for a subsidy?
- To find out if you are eligible for a subsidy, text “4Subsidy” to 222-752 to get an estimate of what you may be eligible for, visit BCBSM’s subsidy calculator at www.bcbsm.com/getready or call a Health Plan Advisor at 1-855-237-3469.
- If you are not eligible for a subsidy, you can purchase a plan directly from Blue Cross by visiting bcbsm.com/myblue, by calling a Health Plan Advisor at 1-855-237-3469, or through a Blues Contracted Agent or directly from us at www.bcbsm.com/getready.
- You do not need to enroll through the federal government website (Healthcare.gov) if you are not eligible for a subsidy.
I started an application for a Qualified Health Plan over the phone: I gave them all my information and the plan I wanted but the marketplace wasn’t working yet. Do I still need to speak with a Health Plan Advisor?
- Yes, you still need to speak to a Health Plan Advisor at 1-855-237-3469 to complete your application on the health insurance marketplace. We know your time is valuable so to complete the enrollment as quickly as possible we need you to go to www.healthcare.gov and register for an account. This is a critical step in the process and, if complete, it will greatly reduce the time you need to spend on the phone with us.
I have tried calling but cannot get through: I have already tried calling a Health Plan Advisor to enroll in a Qualified Health Plan and could not get through due to long hold times. What can I do?
- Health Plan Advisors are available to take your call this Saturday and Sunday, and hold times are significantly less on those days. In addition, you should visit www.healthcare.gov and register for an account. This is a critical step in the process and, if complete, it will greatly reduce the time you need to spend on the phone with us.
What do I need to have ready when I speak with a Health Plan Advisor?
- Find out if you are subsidy eligible by visiting www.bcbsm.com/getready or texting “4Subsidy” to 222-752.
- If you are eligible for a subsidy, please go to www.healthcare.gov and register. This is a critical step in the process and, if complete, it will greatly reduce the time you need to spend on the phone with us.
What if I don’t sign up by December, 23rd?: If I do not sign up by December 23rd, when will my coverage start?
- You have until March 31, 2014 to sign up for coverage in order to avoid a tax penalty. The next deadline is Jan. 15, 2014 to get a plan that starts on Feb. 1, 2014. If you are already a member, you will be offered coverage in a Keep Fit plan for the month of January. To accept this option pay the bill you will be mailed.
What are your holiday hours?
- We will be open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Dec. 23. We will be closed on Dec. 25 but will re-open on Dec. 26 at 8 a.m. We will also be closed on New Year’s Day.
I am already enrolled in a Plan: I have already enrolled in an Affordable Care Act Qualified Health Plan. Is there anything I need to do?
- No. You will be able to use your new benefits starting on January 1, 2014.
I am currently enrolled in a plan that you told me was no longer going to be available What are my options?
- We encourage you to contact us immediately to review your options.
- We will provide you with an overview of our 2014 plans which meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act, and help you determine if you are eligible for a subsidy.
- If you chose to do nothing, we will transition you into our Keep Fit product effective December 31, 2013, to ensure you have continuous coverage with Blue Cross. To accept this option, simply pay the bill you will receive in mid-December.
What if I am already in the Keep Fit Plan with BCBSM or the Personal Plus plan with Blue Care of Michigan, Inc.?
- If you wish to remain enrolled in one of these plans, you do not need to do anything. Your coverage will continue as it is today. However, we want to make sure you are aware that:
- These plans are not eligible for subsidies.
- While these plans do not contain the essential health benefits mandated by the Affordable Care Act, you will not be required to pay a penalty if you maintain this coverage.