Slips, trips and falls accounted for nearly 248,000 workplace injuries in 2014 alone. Whether you work in the construction industry or you have a job that keeps you at your desk most days, slips, trips and falls can and do happen. A simple piece of paper laying on the floor can result in a serious injury for a fellow coworker. So how can you keep yourself and your company safe while at work? As with most workplace hazards, slips, trips and falls can be minimized simply by practicing good housekeeping. Housekeeping includes cleaning all spills immediately, removing obstacles, securing any mats or rugs, covering cables and keeping all areas well-lit. Keeping your workspace clean is the first step to prevent injuries. In addition to housekeeping, there are many other small steps that employees can take each day to minimize their risk of slips, trips and falls. Here are some ways you can keep yourself safe while at work:
- Use designated walkways when available.
- Shorten your stride to keep yourself balanced.
- Make wide turns.
- Choose shoes appropriately. Added traction may be beneficial for you.
- Always clean up clutter, spills, puddles and piles immediately.
- Organize your office or workspace appropriately based on the materials and how they need to be handled.
- Secure carpeting and rugs and keep them flat at all times.
- When carrying or pushing other items, be sure you can see over what you’re carrying.
- Maintain visibility by working with the lights on.
- Tape down cords to avoid trips.
- Report problems immediately
- Repair equipment if it is broken or loose.
- Always exercise caution.
Regardless of the industry you work in, practicing these prevention methods will keep you on your toes and reduce the chances of slips, trips and falls. This is the second post in a four-part series about workplace safety. Read the first post about recognizing hazards in the workplace and stay tuned for upcoming posts about fatigue and impairment caused by drug and alcohol abuse. You may also like:
- Health Benefits of Natural Light in the Office
- Alcohol Abuse in the Workplace
- The Role Employers Play in Stemming the Opioid Epidemic
Photo credit: JaruekChairak