Every year, Crain’s Detroit Business selects companies around Michigan that are especially great to work for. The list— “75 Cool Places to Work”—is decided based on data and employee surveys with a focus on flexibility, engagement and retention. For the fourth time, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan was selected as one of those amazing places to work. What makes Blue Cross such a great employer? Here are a few of the factors that went into us making the list: Blue Cross provides a space for health and fitness activities such as yoga, Zumba and cardio. There's also a walking track on top of the Congress Street parking deck.
- Blue Cross powers part of its Detroit campus with renewable, solar energy.
- Employer-sponsored eldercare assistance helps employees with aging family members handle responsibilities like transportation to medical appointments or meal delivery.
- Blue Cross doesn’t rely on memos to keep employees connected—there is an effort to cut down on paper use by relying on flat screen message boards and video kiosks located around the office.
- Blue Cross offers financial incentives up to $500 per household for participating in fitness activities like walking challenges.
We’re proud to provide our employees with a positive, healthy work environment and are thankful for the recognition from Crain’s. “Being recognized as a Cool Place to Work confirms that our company has a vibrant workplace culture that is valued and appreciated by our employees,” said Laura Byars, vice president, Human Performance. Blue Cross’ extensive support for local nonprofits, such as Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Detroit, is also mentioned in the Crain’s Detroit Business story that announced the 2016 winners. This is the fourth time Crain’s has named Blue Cross a Cool Place to Work (other years were in 2011, 2012 and 2014). The company has also received numerous other employer awards, including:
- 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For — Michigan Business Professionals Association — National, 2011 to 2015
- Top 125 Training Organization Award —Training Magazine — 5th place, 2015 and 2016
- Top 10 Regional Companies, — No. 1 in 2015 and 2016
If you’re interested in exploring a career at Blue Cross, check out our careers page. To learn more about the great employees and initiatives going on at Blue Cross, be sure to check out these blogs:
- Annual Report: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Reflects on a Year of Transformation
- Employees Making a Difference – Both in the Community and at Blue Cross
- Blue Cross Named Top Company in Diversity by DiversityInc
Photo credit: A Healthier Michigan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OSEhvfs49c