College Students: Get the Most from Your Blue Cross Membership
| 3 min read
As a college student, you know that classes, exams, student organizations and social engagements keep your calendar pretty packed. But as busy as you are, you still need to stay on top of your health. And there’s no better time to re-commit yourself to staying healthy than the beginning of a new year. This doesn’t just mean exercising more often, cooking at home instead of eating out and finding ways to reduce your stress. This commitment also means increasing your understanding of the ins-and-outs of your health plan so you can lean on it to stay healthy. Here’s how Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan members can do just that:
- Online Doctor Visits: It’s no fun dealing with a cough and sore throat the night before a big exam—and it’s even worse when your primary care doctor isn’t available. That’s exactly where online doctor visits come in. You’ll be connected with a licensed physician who can answer your questions and develop a treatment plan—all without you having to step foot outside. Don’t forget to have your visit summary delivered to your Primary Care Physician if their office is back home and you’re away for school. To sign up for this service, download the BCBSM Online VisitsSM app, visit bcbsmonlinevisits.com, or give us a dial at 1-844-606-1608. Please note that not all plans cover all services; members should log into their Blue Cross account to see what online visits are covered.
- 24-Hour Nurse Line: If you’ve gotten sick while studying for finals and aren’t sure what to do, a good choice may be to contact the 24-Hour Nurse Line. A registered nurse will talk to you about how to treat your illness and tell you if it calls for a doctor’s visit or a trip to your local pharmacy. This benefit is available both day and night and is good when you simply need guidance on how to tackle an illness.
- Urgent Care Centers and Retail Health Clinics: For situations like strep throat or a minor sprain, urgent care centers and retail health clinics are a smart alternative if you need care fast and your doctor isn’t available.
- Blue Cross Health & Wellness website: Many college students are on the hunt for money-saving deals and discounts. Great news: As a Blue Cross member, you have access to the Blue Cross Health & Wellness site, which was created to help members live a healthy lifestyle. There you’ll find resources like Blue365®, a member discount program that offers deals on products and services like fitness gear, electronic fitness devices and gym memberships. You can also check out the Digital Health Assistant programs, powered by WebMD®, which can help you reach your health and fitness goals.
As a Blue Cross member, you have choices for care when you need them most. Visit bcbsm.com/findcare to learn more. For more on how to take advantage of your health care as a college student, visit these blogs:
- Urgent Care Doctors: There When You Need Them
- Still on Your Parents’ Plan? Here’s What You Need to Know
- College Health 101: A Health Care Prep Course
Photo Credit: rawpixel