A Joint Statement on Voting Laws
by Brianna Neace
| 3 min read
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan joined other Michigan-based businesses this week in communicating a set of principles for policy leaders to consider when crafting legislation to provide access to voting and secure our elections. We represent Michigan’s largest companies, many of which operate on a national basis. We feel a responsibility to add our voice as changes are proposed to voting laws in Michigan and other states, and we are united in our support for the following principles:
- The right to vote is a sacred, inviolable right of American citizens.
- Our democracy is strongest when we have the greatest level of participation by our citizens in a representative government.
- We are committed to encouraging our team members to exercise their right to vote and provide accommodations to do so.
- Safe and secure options to vote are vital to ensuring voter participation.
- Government must support equitable access to the ballot to ensure that all eligible voters can exercise their rights.
- Government must avoid actions that reduce participation in elections – particularly among historically disenfranchised communities, persons with disabilities, older adults, racial minorities and low-income voters.
- Government has a responsibility to continuously improve and strengthen election administration, because public faith in the security and integrity of our elections is fundamental.
- Election laws must be developed in a bipartisan fashion to preserve public confidence in our elections and to preserve the values of democracy.
Our nation is strongest when we stand together. We call on our elected officials to adopt these principles as they proceed in the spirit of inclusion and equality. SIGNATORIES:
- Dennis W. Archer, Jr., Esq., CEO, Ignition Media Group
- Mary T. Barra, Chairman and CEO, General Motors
- Sandy K. Baruah, President and CEO, Detroit Regional Chamber
- David C. Dauch, CEO, American Axle & Manufacturing
- Jim Farley, President and CEO, Ford Motor Company
- Jay Farner, CEO, Quicken Loans/Rocket Mortgage
- David Foltyn, Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Honigman LLP
- Ronald E. Hall, President and Chief Executive Officer, Bridgewater Interiors
- Christopher Ilitch, President and CEO, Ilitch Holdings, Inc.
- James Jacob, Chief Executive Officer, Ajax Paving
- Kenneth Kelly, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, First Independence Bank
- Swamy Kotagiri, Chief Executive Officer, Magna International
- Tina Kozak, Chief Executive Officer, Franco
- Wright Lassiter III, President and Chief Executive Officer, Henry Ford Health System
- Frédéric B. Lissalde, President and Chief Executive Officer, BorgWarner Inc.
- Daniel J. Loepp, President and CEO, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Ryan Maibach, President and Chief Executive Officer, Barton Malow Holdings
- Mike Manley, Head of Americas, Stellantis
- Mike Mansuetti, President, Bosch in North America
- Jerry Norcia, President and CEO, DTE Energy
- Megan Norris, Chief Executive Officer, Miller Canfield Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Cindy Pasky, President and CEO, Strategic Staffing Solutions
- Roger S. Penske, Chairman, Penske Corporation
- Peter Quigley, President and Chief Executive Officer, Kelly Services, Inc.
- Steven Rooney, Chief Executive Officer, Continental Structural Plastics and General Manager, Teijin Composites Business Unit
- Samir Salman, Chief Executive Officer, Continental Automotive North America
- Ray Scott, President and CEO, Lear Corporation
- Suzanne Shank, President and Chief Executive Officer, Siebert Williams Shank & Co., LLC
- Stephen D. Steinour, Chairman, President and CEO, Huntington Bancshares Inc.
- Arn Tellem, Vice Chairman, Detroit Pistons and Pistons Sports & Entertainment
- Gary Torgow, Executive Chairman, TCF Financial Corporation
- Frank Venegas, Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Ideal Group, Inc.
- Thomas Vincent, President and Chief Executive Officer, Plunkett Cooney PC
- S. Evan Weiner, President and CEO, Edward C Levy Co.
- Andreas S. Weller, President and Chief Executive Officer, Aludyne
- Leonard C. Wolfe, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Rod Wood, President and CEO, Detroit Lions