Self-Care for the Human Resources Professional
In an October 2020 survey, 69% of human resources professionals said it was the most stressful of their careers. If you’re an HR professional or know of someone who is, taking time to focus on self-care and stress management can help maintain a positive attitude, strengthen the immune system and allow the ability to continue to make the organization a great place to work.
Rest and recovery are necessary for you to remain productive, resilient, be creative and maintain focus for your tasks. This can fall into two categories:
- Daily breaks: Take breaks during the workday by unplugging during your lunch break, standing up between meetings for a stretch or breath break or walking around while talking on a phone.
- Extended breaks: Take a break from work with PTO and encourage staff to take their time off even if they are not able to travel.
Other self-care tips you can incorporate and that you can encourage employees to take include:
- Making time for regular exercise, which can include walks or yoga.
- Taking care of your surroundings by keeping a clear workspace.
- Getting outside in nature to relax.
- Starting or re-starting a hobby you enjoy.
- Practicing mindful activities.
- Seeking support from friends, family or mental health providers.
Learn more about steps you can take to practice self-care in this Blue Cross® Virtual Well-Being webinar. You can also sign up for future employer-focused and general interest webinars here, where you’ll find past sessions and resources.
Photo credit: Getty Images