- Insurance can seem expensive, but not having it can cost much more: How many people do you know with a heart condition or who have had a heart attack? Have you ever thought about what the cost would be to have open heart surgery? The answer, according to financial website, Investopedia, is roughly $324,000. Now imagine adding that amount to your monthly bills. An average mortgage payment for that amount would be over $2,000 a month —and that’s only for one procedure. Compared with the actual cost of care for any serious condition can make monthly premiums seem much more attractive.
- Being uninsured impacts everyone: People who don’t have health insurance tend to wait until their condition is at its worst and use the emergency room to get care. This results in large bills from doctors and facilities that often go unpaid. To recoup those funds, hospitals are often forced to charge more for services to everyone across the board.
- Preventive care: Those with health insurance are much more likely to use it for receiving annual check-ups and other diagnostic tests that can catch serious medical conditions early when they are still treatable. The latest research shows that people with health insurance are found to be mentally and physically healthier.
- Transitioning to a new career: More and more people attending college are those who have been out of high school for many years. Health insurance is becoming a prerequisite to attend a college or university. Some schools even require certain benefits to be covered.
- Self worth: You insure your cars, home and other material items, so why would you decide to put yourself last? Car or home repairs can be very costly, but have you thought about what it would cost to fix YOU if something went wrong?
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published.
Jan 22, 2016 at 2:46pm
You bring up some great points in your article, and I think one of the overarching themes of all these benefits is the fact that in general, you set yourself up for a quality future if you have health insurance. In terms of both finance and health, having health insurance now secures a quality life later on. This infographic piggybacks on your ideas: https://healthchoiceone.com/infographic-benefits-of-health-insurance/ I love your ideas- thanks for the post!