When Can You Buy Health Insurance?
| 2 min read
But what if you missed open enrollment and need coverage before next year? Can’t you just buy health insurance whenever you want, like a case of Michigan beer? Not really.
- Getting married
- The birth or adoption of a child
- Losing health coverage (job loss, divorce, or death)
- Moving to a different area if it affects your plan
- Turning 26 and dropping off your parent or guardian’s plan
- COBRA expiration
- Changes in income that may affect eligibility for tax credits or cost-sharing reductions
- Losing eligibility for Medicaid, Healthy Michigan Plan or Children’s Health Insurance Program
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving jail or prison