by Zach Micklea
| 2 min read
Resiliency is the ability to recover from setbacks, adapt well to change and keep going in the face of adversity. This concept is important for your business and employees, because goals, projects, expectations and demands are changing all the time. Resilient people appear to be better able to cope with stress and:
- Remain calm
- Manage emotions
- Guard against burnout
- Remain productive
Resilience is associated with greater job satisfaction, happiness at work, organizational commitment and employee engagement. Raising resilience contributes to improved self-esteem, sense of control over life events, sense of purpose in life and improved employee interpersonal relationships. Employers reap the rewards of a happier workforce and increased productivity. As an employer, you can encourage employees to build resiliency by:
- Encouraging social interactions with other employees, including having time in virtual meetings to share something personal like a recent victory
- Celebrating employee and team success and accomplishments
- Offering mindfulness classes
- Promoting exercise
There are several resources you can share with employees to help them improve their resiliency:
- Mobile apps: Breathing Zone, Happify, Moodify and Moodpath are a good place to get started.
- Journaling: Helps employees boost their mood, enhance sense of well-being and reduce symptoms of depression.
- Meditation: Linked to lower blood pressure, breathing rate and stress hormones.
Given the many benefits, employers are building resiliency in their workforce so that employees develop skills to manage workplace stress. Want to learn more about the importance of helping your employees become resilient to stress? Watch this Blue Cross® Virtual Well-Being webinar. In this webinar, your Virtual Well-Being coordinator discusses how utilize things like virtual classes, apps, yoga and more to boost resiliency in the workplace. You can also sign up for future employer-focused and general interest webinars here, where you’ll also be able to check out past sessions and resources. Related:
- Help Your Employees Find Purpose at Work
- Developing a Gratitude Mindset at Work
- Increase the Impact of Your Blue Cross Medical Benefits