In Your Community: How Blue Cross Supports Healthy Activities for Families
Have you ever watched a little kid earn a medal after finishing a fun run or sprinting to the end of their first “real” race?
It’s magical. When the ribbon goes around their neck and they hold it out proudly for their “fans” to see, that beaming smile is everything.
In addition to the sense of accomplishment and pride kids feel on race day, active kids grow up to seek out physical activity, increasing the likelihood that they’ll be healthy adults.
Supporting opportunities for kids to be active is part of the mission of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network. Through our #MIKidsCan initiative, we support a number of health and wellness initiatives across the state, including community events that inspire children and their families to be active.
We’re proud to support the upcoming community events that provide kids – and their parents – opportunities to engage in fun, family-friendly physical activity. After all, one of the best ways to raise an active child is to be an active parent.
- March 9: LaughFest Seriously Funny Family Adventure Challenge, Grand Rapids: Round up a team of two to four people and take part in this fun, active event.
- March 10: Shamrocks & Shenanigans Kids Run, Ann Arbor: This is a fun run with heart, benefiting Save A Heart, an organization that raises funds to benefit patients and families who come to the Michigan Congenital Heart Center at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
- April 1: Active Against ALS Twinkie Run, Ann Arbor: This is no April Fool’s Joke – you can eat twinkies during this race. Plus, all proceeds benefit research and projects toward a cure or effective treatment for ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.
- April 13: Kids’ Martian Marathon, Dearborn: Kids run throughout the school year and finish the last 1.2 miles of their “marathon” in front of a cheering crowd.
- April 27: Amazing Race, Ann Arbor: A yearly fundraiser for Cancer Support Community, teams of four people solve clues, hunt for hidden locations and landmarks and compete to be the first team to finish.
- May 4: Heart & Sole Race, Chelsea: Sign up for the 30th annual running of this family-friendly race, which includes a kids fun run, 10K and 5K events.
- May 8: Amway Junior Run, Grand Rapids: This non-competitive fun run around a track is a great way to introduce kids to running. Make sure you stop by the Blue Care Network-sponsored Family Fun Area after your run.
- June 22: Seaway Run, Muskegon: This is a race series with a view, with vantage points of Muskegon Lake and Lake Michigan depending on the distance you choose.
- July 19: Tour de TART, Traverse City: More than 600 people are expected to take part in this fun evening bike ride on the TART and Leelanau trails.
Have you or your kids participated in any of these events? Tell us about your experience in the comments.
If you enjoyed this post, check these out:
- Supporting the Michigan Health Endowment Fund
- Protecting the Smiles of Michigan Children
- Why Do Kids Need So Many Shots Today?
Photo credit: Media Production