If you’re ready to seek mental health or behavioral health treatment, you’ll be happy to know that many services are covered through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network plans.
Many preventive services, such as depression screenings for adults and behavioral assessments for children of all ages are covered with no copayment. Annual checkups with a primary care physician are an important way to get ahead of health concerns, including mental health issues, and they’re also fully covered.
Mental health and substance use disorder services
The following mental and behavioral health services are included as part of most plans. Copays could be required for:
- Behavioral health treatment, such as psychotherapy and counseling
- Psychiatric evaluation and treatment
- Mental and behavioral health inpatient services
- Substance use disorder treatment
- Autism spectrum disorder services
- Specialty services including electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), neurofeedback, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), exposure response prevention therapy (ERPT) and more
Some services can be accommodated virtually through telehealth. The specific services and the extent to which they are covered will vary based on the benefits you’ve selected. If you’re a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or Blue Care Network member, the easiest way to check your coverage is by logging into your account at bcbsm.comon our website or the Blue Cross mobile app. Follow these steps after logging in:
- Go to My Coverage
- Select Medical from the menu
- Select What’s Covered
- Find behavioral health care, mental health care and substance use disorder treatment
Here you’ll find information about your plan’s requirements for getting services, which services your plan covers, how much you’ll pay and how much your plan pays for services.
Need help finding a participating provider? Talking with a case manager can help you determine the next right steps to get the care you need. Check your ID card to determine the plan you have and call the corresponding number.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO members: 1-800-762-2382
- Blue Care Network HMO members: 1-800-482-5982
- Medicare Plus Blue PPO: 1-888-803-4960
- BCN Advantage HMO and HMO-POS: 1-800-431-1059
- Blue Cross and Health Professionals Create Free Virtual Group Therapy Programs
- Exploring Virtual Therapy with Telehealth
- Online Support for People with Substance Use Disorders
Photo credit: fizkes