A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT AND CEO, BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF MICHIGAN
"The needs of customers and members are top priorities for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network (our nonprofit health maintenance organization). In 2022, Michigan’s health care landscape continued to change and the people we serve depended on us to help them navigate the pandemic. We were ready to help with more choices for care from both virtual and in-person providers, personalized programs and more options that offer exceptional value." Read more from Daniel J. Loepp
A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT AND CEO, BLUE CARE NETWORK
“At Blue Care Network, we’re ready to help our customers, members and the communities we serve get the best care possible with more comprehensive health care coverage. In 2022, we designed plans and programs with greater convenience, more affordability and expanded access to quality health care providers — delivering value beyond benefits.” Read more from Kathryn Levine
A MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIRMAN, BLUE CARE NETWORK BOARD OF DIRECTORS
“At Blue Care Network, we’re ready to help manage cost savings while delivering a diverse and dynamic portfolio of health care choices to our customers and members. In 2022, we maintained strong membership levels of 830,000.” Read more from William Black
A YEAR IN REVIEW: 2022 HIGHLIGHTS
At Blue Care Network, we’re ready to help you find the right health care, at the right time and place. In 2022, we developed plans and programs with built-in convenience and more affordability to deliver quality care to our customers, members and communities.
WE’RE READY TO HELP WITH HIGH-QUALITY, COST-EFFICIENT CARE
- Launched a personalized medicine program to help members find the most clinically effective medication through genetic testing; our 2022 pilot program had 436 members (74%) return their test kits, resulting in medication recommendations and reduced total health care spending for more than 90% participants.
- Expanded our point-of-service plans with the addition of a health savings account option to help members manage their health care funds while containing costs for customers; product membership grew to more than 25,000 in 2022 from 2,200 members in 2020.
- Awarded a 4.5-star rating by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for our member benefits and commitment to health care quality.
- Generated $3.7 million in savings for BCN members on specialty and other expensive drugs through our high-cost drug discount program.
- Produced savings totaling over $2.5 million for BCN and Blue Cross members with chronic conditions enrolled in our Drug Adherence Discount Program.
WE’RE READY TO HELP WITH CONVENIENT AND ACCESSIBLE SOLUTIONS
- Developed virtual health plan options to give members easy, on-demand access to a primary care provider who will coordinate all their health care needs.
- Added a digital app for family planning and maternity support to help members navigate the stages of pregnancy and early parenthood.
- Enhanced our online portal and mobile app with a more precise cost-estimating tool to help members price several hundred services and better manage their out-of-pocket costs.
- Delivered personal support to customers with more than 240 field service visits, including virtual and in-person educational sessions and open enrollment support, to promote engagement and better plan understanding.
- Expanded access to mental health through a new virtual platform and integrated behavioral health care coordination in to more primary care practices across Michigan.
WE’RE READY TO HELP OUR COMMUNITY
We’re partnering with our parent company, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, to better support health and wellness in the communities we serve. For example:
- Supported child abuse prevention through a year long campaign with the nonprofit Children Trust Michigan to raise awareness and funds to expand prevention programs in all 83 Michigan counties.
- Contributed to disaster relief efforts through enterprisewide contributions and employee giving campaigns to help:
- Ukraine relief efforts for health care, medical supplies and assistance for victims of war.
- Hurricane Ian relief efforts to help clear debris and provide health care, medical supplies and nutrition for those affected.