Enrollment Fair 101: How to Prepare, What to Bring
| 3 min read
Buying health insurance for you or your family, might be overwhelming. To help you determine the which health plan is the right fit for you, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network has several enrollment fairs throughout the state designed to help Michigan residents get their questions answered and enroll in a health plan that matches their needs and budget. If you’re interested in attending, here’s a guide to help you prepare for the enrollment fair:
How to Prepare
- Check if you’re eligible for savings: While you can check if you qualify for lower costs on your health plan at the fair, it will speed things up for you if you do it before you go. Save yourself some time by texting “4Subsidy” to 222-752 or by visiting bcbsm.com/subsidy.
- Understand how the health reform law impacts you by visiting HealthCareReformBasics.com and check out our 2015 health plans at bcbsm.com/getinsurance. Make a list of questions to ask your enrollment expert the day of the expo.
- Make an appointment. While it’s not required, if you register ahead of time you can make an appointment with an agent. If you’re on a tight schedule and don’t want to spend time in line, go to insurance.bcbsmseminars.com to sign up for a slot that works for you.
- Gather your information: There are four things you’ll need to bring with you if you want to enroll on-site:
- Social security number(s) or document immigration number(s) for those you’d like to insure
- Household income
- Number of dependants or people in your household
- Current health coverage policy numbers
Once You Arrive
One of the best things about enrollment fairs is that someone will guide you through a personalized experience as soon as you walk in the door. After you check in, you’ll have the opportunity to estimate what financial help you might qualify for.
- If you qualify for the Health Michigan Plan, an advisor will be there to help you fill out an application.
- If you qualify for lower costs on the Marketplace, like tax credits and lower out-of-pocket costs, an advisor will be there to enroll you in a Marketplace plan on the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Even If you don’t qualify for financial help, a Blue Cross agent can help you sort through your options and enroll in the right plan for you or your family.
Not sure what to ask when selecting a plan? Here are five questions that help you evaluate your options.
After You Leave
After you enroll, you’ll get a booklet to help you understand the basics of your plan. When you get home, create a space – like a folder or drawer – where you will store all your health care and health insurance information. Keep your booklet, and look out for your welcome kit and insurance card in the mail. Read through and save this information, as it has a lot of important details regarding what your new plan covers. For more information on enrollment fairs, visit insurance.bcbsmseminars.com. You can also purchase insurance online or by calling a health plan advisor (1-855-269-9898), whichever is convenient for you. We’re here to help answer questions and assist you with enrollment each step of the way. For more health insurance tips visit bcbsm.com/101 or follow the hashtag #Covered101 on our social channels. If you have a specific question, please submit your query online through our Customer Action Center.