Why Mental Health is Important for Businesses
| 3 min read
Dr. Kristyn Gregory, D.O., is a medical director of behavioral health at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Dr. Gregory received her medical degree from the Chicago School of Osteopathic Medicine. She then completed residency training in Adult Psychiatry at Henry Ford, and a fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Wayne State University. She is board-certified in Adult, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. She has practiced in a variety of settings in the metro Detroit area including inpatient, residential, outpatient, school-based and juvenile justice programs.
A Business Case for Mental Health Support
How to Be an Ally
- Amplify good ideas of coworkers by giving them credit
- Build up other coworkers by talking about their expertise in team meetings, and recommend them for opportunities
- Create a communications code of conduct for meetings so all workers have a chance to be heard
- Ensure specific, technical questions are directed to the employee with direct expertise
- Listen and ask questions if someone has an experience that’s different than your own
- Look for opportunities for members of underrepresented groups including women and people of color to serve as panelists, speakers at events or in the workplace, or invite them to career-building opportunities
- Speak up about degrading and offensive behavior or speech during office interactions
Leadership on Mental Health Matters
- Lunchtime webinars
- New hire orientations
- Ongoing speaker series
- Training for workplace influencers
Mental Health Supports in the Era of Remote Employees
- Telehealth services for behavioral health: Employees can access professionals offering evidence-based, cognitive behavioral therapy through online portals that securely offer audio, video and instant message counseling sessions.
- Virtual care smartphone apps: Applications can help workers with their sleep habits, mental resiliency and meditation practices.
- Virtual wellbeing services, including yoga classes.
- Basic Self-Care for Leaders
- How to Find a Good Substance Use Disorder Treatment Facility
- Is Stigma Affecting Men’s Mental Health?