Make the Most of SilverSneakers
by Amy Barczy
| 3 min read
As you grow older, staying active has never been more important. Being physically active can help prevent and delay many health problems that come with aging – and can keep you mentally strong as well.
Mobility is the largest physical health concern for people over the age of 65 in the U.S. Regular physical activity can help keep your muscles strong to support your daily activities and lifestyle – and the more you move, the more your health will reap the rewards. One way to help yourself incorporate exercise and movement into your life is by joining a fitness club.
For Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Medicare Advantage members, plans include free access to the SilverSneakers® fitness program. Many Medicare plans include free access as well. SilverSneakers is a health and fitness program specifically designed for adults aged 65 and older. This program has been proven to help boost physical and mental health outcomes, and lower health care costs, among those who participate frequently.
Thanks to its flexible design, you can access both in-person fitness classes at thousands of locations across the U.S., as well as virtual fitness classes and workshops at no extra cost.
Here are some of the perks of a SilverSneakers membership:
- Online tools and basic fitness equipment to use in your home
- Virtual fitness classes available on-demand 24/7
- Live virtual classes and workshops throughout the week
- Walking groups and workshops at parks, community centers and more
- No gym membership required
- Signature SilverSneakers group fitness classes
- Health and well-being educational classes
- Unlimited access to thousands of fitness locations nationwide, even when you travel
Free to move
SilverSneakers programming can help you meet the recommended physical activity guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for adults aged 65 and older:
- At least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week (think brisk walking 30 minutes a day, five days a week) or 75 minutes a week of vigorous intensity activity like hiking, jogging or running
- Activities that strengthen muscles at least two days a week
- Activities that improve balance like standing on one foot about three days a week
How to get started
First, talk with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program. Then check to see if you’re eligible for SilverSneakers online here.
Here’s how to enroll in SilverSneakers:
- Go to SilverSneakers.com/StartHere to create an online account.
- Log in to view your member ID number and take that to a participating location.
- You can also enjoy virtual workouts online through your new account.
- Start a healthy routine with the support you need!
Questions? Visit SilverSneakers.com or call 1-888-423-4632 (TTY: 711) Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
SilverSneakers is a registered trademark of Tivity Health, Inc. © 2023 Tivity Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
Photo credit: Getty Images