A Hygge Lifestyle Challenge
by Shandra Martinez
| 2 min read
Have you ever tried to add hygge activities to your life? Hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is a Danish practice of creating warmth, connection and well-being. The Scandinavian approach to lifestyle is loosely defined as a person’s ability to be in the moment and enjoy their surroundings. Another way to describe the practice is that it’s about atmosphere and an experience rather than about things. “(Hygge) is about creating environmental flow and warmth, about making you feel comfortable and cozy through visual, spatial and other sensory properties,” according to Dr. Allen Elkin, a clinical psychologist. Below are some examples of activities that may bring you hygge. Use these as inspiration to create your own hygge activities to do. Hygge with coworkers:
- Reach out and learn a new fact about them.
- Send a thank-you note or email.
- Start a group text or chat with your team to share information or jokes.
- Ask a co-worker to lunch or virtual coffee.
Hygge in the office:
- Organize your workspace to bring you joy.
- Bring in nature — plants, shells or a bowl of rocks.
- Add office supplies that personalize your space.
- Incorporate seasonal touches at your desk.
Hygge and self-care:
- Make your own healthy lunch for work.
- Take breaks from sitting.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Take your paid time off.
- Take company-offered classes and webinars.
Hygge in personal life:
- Spend time in nature.
- Add warm lighting to your home.
- Use scents to create a mood.
- Take time to do your hobbies.
- Put your favorite music on and cook with your family.
Learn more about hygge in this Blue Cross® Virtual Well-Being webinar. You can also sign up for future employer-focused and general interest webinars here, where you’ll find past sessions and resources. Related:
- The Art-Making Process and Connection to Feelings
- The Value of Planning Your Day
- Creating Micro Habits to Achieve Big Goals
Photo credit: Getty Images